Can you believe its July already?! That time of year where the weather behaves like a magician, constantly playing tricks on us! Given the ever-changing weather, we felt it only be fitting to share some valuable tips this month for capturing extraordinary photos, regardless of whether the skies are pouring with rain or shining brightly with the sun.
We firmly believe that each twist and turn of the weather presents an opportunity to document remarkable and unforgettable moments through the lens of your camera or even your iPhone! So here are our top tips to help you capture the magic, whether you're blessed with a breathtaking sunset or faced with an unexpected downpour:
Tips for Beautiful Sunset Photos:
- Timing is Everything: Check the sunset time for your location and arrive early to set up your gear and find the perfect vantage point. The golden hour before sunset provides soft, warm light that can transform any scene.
- Create Silhouettes: Position your subjects against the colorful hues of the setting sun to create stunning silhouettes. Experiment with different compositions and capture the captivating shapes against the backdrop of the sky.
- Use Reflections: Seek out bodies of water, such as lakes or ponds, to capture breathtaking reflections of the sunset. Calm waters can turn into mirrors, doubling the magic of the sky's colors.
- Play with Foreground Elements: Incorporate interesting foreground elements like trees, buildings, or flowers to add depth and visual interest to your sunset photos. These elements can create a sense of scale and enhance the overall composition.
- Capture Sun Rays: As the sun sets, it often casts beautiful rays of light that spread across the sky. Position yourself so that the sun is partially hidden behind an object, like a tree or a mountain, and capture the rays as they radiate outward, adding a touch of magic to your images.
- Keep Shooting Beyond Sunset: Don't pack up your gear as soon as the sun disappears below the horizon. The moments after sunset, known as the "blue hour," offer a different kind of beauty with soft, cool tones. Capture the peaceful ambiance and the gentle fading light during this time.
Tips for Gripping Rain Shots:
- Look for Puddles: Rain transforms the world into a playground of reflections. Seek out puddles and capture the vibrant reflections of people, objects, or city lights. Get low to the ground for a unique perspective.
- Experiment with Motion: Raindrops in motion can add a sense of drama and action to your photos. Use a fast shutter speed to freeze the raindrops mid-air or try a slower shutter speed to capture their graceful motion.
- Find Sheltered Spaces: Look for interesting architectural structures, such as archways or bridges, that provide cover from the rain. These spaces can offer unique compositions and capture the interplay between light and rain.
- Capture Emotions: Rainy days evoke a range of emotions. Observe people's reactions to the rain—be it joy, contemplation, or resilience—and capture their expressions or gestures. These candid moments can tell powerful stories.
- Rainy Abstracts: Use the rain as a canvas to create abstract and artistic photographs. Experiment with intentional camera movement, blurring, or shooting through rain-soaked surfaces to produce unique and evocative images that convey the mood and beauty of rainy days.
- Splash Photography: If you're feeling adventurous, try splash photography in the rain. Set up a controlled environment, such as a covered area or using props, and capture the splashes created by raindrops or water droplets falling into puddles. Freeze the action with a fast shutter speed to capture captivating moments of water in motion.
Now, grab your camera or your phone, brave the elements, and let your photos reflect the true essence of the unpredictable UK summer. Happy shooting!