National Membership Fee Changes
Membership fees imposed by the National office increased on August 1. All new youth and adult members who join Scouting will be enrolled in a 12-month membership cycle; BSA will no longer prorate fees. New youth and adult members will pay the full annual membership fee and will renew their membership on the anniversary date of joining Scouting.
Each registered member of the BSA will receive an email notification with a registration renewal link beginning 60 days before the anniversary date they joined Scouting. Unit leaders will also receive a copy of the email and are encouraged to monitor the renewal process. Remind parents to re register their youth and keep their email addresses up to date on https://my.scouting.org.
Effective August 1, 2023, the following national membership fees were implemented by BSA:
- $80 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting participants ($5 increase)
- $50 for youth and adult Exploring participants ( $5 increase )
- $60 for all adult volunteers ($15 increase to provide general liability insurance and enhanced background checks)
- $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting (Not prorated and no change in fee)
- $25 for Merit Badge Counselors (Applies only to Merit Badge Counselors not otherwise registered as adult volunteers, MBCs not registered in a primary adult leader role are not allowed to attend overnight Scouting activities)
- $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee (no change in fee)
- $15 for Scout Life magazine (no change) Locally, the Greater St. Louis Area Council remains committed to making Scouting available to all youth members, and we will continue to provide financial assistance to families in need. This is possible due to the generosity of the many donors who support our Friends of Scouting campaign, as well as our financial assistance program.
Additionally, in an effort to keep Scouting affordable for all families, the Greater St. Louis Area Council does not charge a program fee.
For further information or clarification, please contact your Unit Commissioner.