Downloadable example with the guide at the end
I’m going to explain how you can unlock deeper benefits from ChatGPT, through what I call an Ongoing Pre-trained Chat (OPC).
This type of prompt enables educators to orchestrate a ChatGPT chat that can act as a:
- Teaching Assistant
- Subject expert
Learning how to do this will give you an invaluable resource for your professional and personal development.
Unfortunately, most of us who use ChatGPT only ever ask it a question or two and then move on straight away.
We forget that it’s a chatbot
Chat with it.
Crafting a good prompt by using a framework such as PREP (See The AI Classroom book) is a great way to start a conversation with ChatGPT, but it’s only the beginning.
We often fail to unlock the next levels of ChatGPT because of:
- Reason #1: A lack of clear instructions
- Reason #2: Unrealistic expectations (it can’t read our minds)
- Reason #3: Impatience (go beyond the transactional)
- Reason #4: Ambiguous questions
The Ongoing Pre-trained Chat (OPC) isn’t for every ChatGPT use, but for those wanting to scratch the surface for deeper insights then you are going to love it.
SJ is my personal OPC that I've used for 3 months. It's a ChatGPT interactive Smart Journal that:
- acts as a mentor, coach and psychologist in one
- asks insightful questions
- embodies an expert in whatever I am writing about
- studies trends in my responses
- offers strategies based on these trends
- provides journal summaries
- abides by my ground rules
It's a journal that listens, journeys with me and provides insights.
When I first started using GPT last year this use case was one of the first I thought of and got excited about.
After using it for three months I love it.
I have refined this prompt over time to suit my own preferences and outlook, based on years of experience with coaching, mentoring and studying psychology.
Here's how I do it:
Step 1: Structure
The structure of the initial prompt is key to training your OPC.
Here's my Smart Journal prompt: