1. Choose the right AI tools
Decide on the output you want.
Is it text, an image, video, audio etc?
Here are some tools that I'm currently using:
- Text 👉 ChatGPT Pro
- Image 👉 Midjourney
- Video 👉 D-ID
- Audio 👉 Murf
As a teacher, you'll probably get the most use from ChatGPT or similar language models. However, using more than one AI tool to create can be very powerful (See my example).
2. Clarify the roles
Many users fail to successfully collaborate with AI because they don't have expectations of it and themselves.
In my PREP model for asking ChatGPT a question, I emphasise the need to give it a role. But you also need to know your role too. You should be in charge, active in the process, your ideas are the most important.
Avoid outsourcing your thinking.
3. Communicate clearly
In a similar way to a human collaboration, an AI collaborator can't read your mind.
Here are a few ways to hone your questions for a tool like ChatGPT:
- Set a tone
- Provide examples
- Use precise language
- Explain the purpose
- Break it down into chunks
The "13 Ways to Streamline Teacher Workload" booklet you received when subscribing to this newsletter, provides examples of how to do this with ChatGPT.
Clear communication isn't easy. It takes practice. Practice.
4. Don't be too quick to trust it
Although the technology is improving fast, there are still some issues of accuracy and bias.
Your judgement and critical analysis are vital.
5. Apply pressure
At first, you might find that your creative collaboration isn't all that special.
The amazing thing about these tools is that they are usually dialogue based. This means you can respond. Here are a few ways to respond and get better results:
- "Rewrite this but include..."
- "Change the format of the answer by..."
- "This is too generic, be more precise and give examples of..."
- "Familiarise yourself with... and integrate your learning into this answer."
- "Scrap this and start again with new ideas..."
6. Stretch it
Finally, use your AI collaboration as an opportunity to go beyond what you know and can create on your own.
Instruct the AI tool to be different, be unique and think outside the box.
Here are a few ways to stretch AI:
- "Think outside the box when responding to..."
- "Don't give me common answers, give me answers that give a fresh perspective on..."
- "Make your answers innovative"
The AI revolution is here.
I'm sharing all of this so that you not only survive in the coming years but thrive with AI.
When you are ready, the ChatGPT Survival Kit will give you the kick-start you want: